February 16, 2013

Rainbow Butterfly Mani

Let me just say... I LOVE THIS MANICURE! I'm actually very proud of myself, I didn't think I could pull it off. This was inspired by @pixiedust on Instagram.
 


Please keep reading for the tutorial and all of the polishes I used! Get ready for lots of pictures!

STEP ONE:
To start out, put a base coat followed by a white polish on all of your nails. I used Orly Bonder and two coats Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear.

Next, I laid out all of my polishes and precut makeup sponges so I would be more organized. I was going to use a new sponge for each hand, but it worked out that I used one sponge per color combo. The picture below shows how I laid it all out and how I painted the sponges.

STEP TWO:
Take your sponge, stripe the three colors onto it, and sponge it on a diagonal across the nail. The easiest way I found to create a smooth blend in the ombre was the following routine:
  1. Left hand, coat one
  2. Right hand, coat one
  3. Left hand, coat two
  4. Right hand, coat two
  5. Left hand, Fairy Dust
  6. Right hand, Fairy Dust
STEP THREE:
Using a Q-tip dipped in acetone, clean up your fingers and add your favorite top coat. I, of course used Orly Sec 'N Dry!
 
STEP FOUR:
Now for the details! Using a black polish draw the lines for the wing outlines and fill in the black on the top. I used a Finger Paints striping polish that comes with the striping brush. Let it dry for a minute, and then using your original white polish and a dotting tool, create the dots on the wings. And you're done!!

I hope you enjoy this manicure! Below are all the colors I used...

Red-to-Orange
 Orly Soul Mate ~ Finger Paints ~ China Glaze Japanese Koi
Orange-to-Yellow
China Glaze Japanese Koi ~ China Glaze Sun Worshiper ~ China Glaze Celtic Sun
 
Yellow-to-Green
CHina Glaze Celtic Sun ~ Finger Paints Tiffany Imposter ~ Finger Paints Silkscreen Green
Green-to-Blue
Finger Paints Silkscreen Green ~ Finger Paints Sketch N Etch ~ China Glaze Frostbite
 
Blue-Purple
China Glaze Frostbite ~ Sally Hansen No Hard Feelings ~ Sephora by O.P.I. Domestic Goddess
The Extras
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear White On ~ China Glaze Fairy Dust ~ Finger Paints Ch-Art-Coal Black
 
HAVE A ROYAL DAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment